Pumpkin Pie Filling Recipe:
- Cut the tops off of the pumpkins in a circle... sure, this is a little messy but just pretend that you are preforming a craniotomy and making a jack-o-lantern.
- Quarter the pumpkins from the top down and scoop out the seeds and tendrils. Feel free at this point to ignore the pumpkin's look of horror... they cannot feel anything and are just being a big, pouty baby at this point. Note: Keep seeds for pepitas if you like ;)
- Place the pumpkin shells meat-side up on a large cookie sheet or other sided baking dish.
- Smear the inner surfaces of the pumpkins with fresh churned butter... like a greased pig at the county fair. The more butter, the better!!!
- Sprinkle the brown sugar and spices, including a small bit of salt, over the shells.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until you can easily stab through the flesh with a fork. Yes, I realized this recipe is getting a bit murdery and may not be an appropriate family baking activity for children under 12.
- Let stand to cool.
- Gently cut away the outer skin -- This is great for compost and covering up the crime scene.
mash, or process the meat to the desired consistency for the recipe
you're preparing - very smooth for a mousse, less so for a standard pie. Yum! Enjoy!!!