Metalwork and Bezels

After years of feeling intimidated by the art of metalworking, I finally decided to conquer my fears.  Looking back, I think I was more afraid of failing than the relatively simple process itself.  Like lampworking, set rules of chemistry govern the process of soldiering silver.  Two instructive tools helped in learning how to create custom metalwork. 

The first was a Bezel Setting Tutorial from Donna Millard.  It was extremely helpful in guiding me through the entire process.  The detailed pictures and supply directory were outstanding.  Definitely worth every penny. 

The second tool I used was a demonstration video from Cool Tools on the basics of soldiering.  Being a visiual learner, it was great to see the process in motion.  Cool Tools also has other soldiering instruction videos available including:  Jump Rings, Simple Bail, Chain Ends, and other Silver Findings.
 
"Indigo Sparkle" features the final bezel design:

5 comments:

corn fed girl said...

Wicked! I'm glad you got over your fears! You did a wonderful job!!

JoeyandChase said...

stunning, heather! will these be a new line for you? hopefully i'm first on the list of buyers!

Heather Sellers said...

Thanks ladies :) Yes, I will be making more bezels over the coming weeks. Some with lampwork cabs, others with designer stone cabs. I will keep the pictures coming!

la mar de bonita said...

Thats a wonderful necklace! I think I've to try silver soldering too, anyday..... ;0)

Heather Sellers said...

You should totally try it Michi! You would do a great job. All the best, Heather